Thursday, April 23, 2009

Last night was another great dinner (with champagne, instead of the wine...so nice), and a fabulous time of conversation. Really a treat, all the way around.

This morning found us up and at the opening session of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) conference, where Elizabeth Edwards delivered the keynote address. I have to say, regardless of your political leanings, Mrs. Edwards is a very lovely, very gracious woman, and her speech this morning was one of the most heartfelt I've ever heard.

Afterwards, there was a book-signing where Mrs. E was signing copies of her book Saving Graces. Because I was the member of our party who was not heading to a breakout session (or whatever they were calling them), I volunteered to stand in line and get our books signed... this meant, then, that I got to meet Elizabeth Edwards!!! I have to say, for as lovely and gracious as she seemed when delivering her address, she is even more so in person.

The other interesting thing this morning... although certainly not on the same level as meeting EE... was that as we crossed the street, we heard the sound of police sirens. Being good Californians, we immediately turned and looked, and realized that it was a diplomatic motorcade! This may be silly of me, but it was kind of cool to see in person. Couldn't see who it was, but still impressive.

Well, it's almost time to get ready for dinner... I'll post more tonight or tomorrow.

No comments: